New ADT Self Setup system integrates trusted ADT security with Google Nest products
ADT announced the availability of the new ADT Self Setup smart home security system – its most advanced and complete DIY system ever and the first fully integrated DIY offering from ADT and Google. ADT Self Setup integrates Google Nest smart home products with ADT security and life safety technology as well as ADT SMART Monitoring – all with the convenient control of the new ADT+ app.
ADT Self Setup makes it easier for customers to customize the perfect DIY system for their smart home or apartment needs with the added peace of mind that only comes with ADT’s premium customer service and award-winning² SMART Monitoring technology.
SMART Monitoring for ADT Self Setup customers includes Video Verification and helps police to respond faster, to get help sooner³. Customers can interact or view their ADT-monitored system through multiple touchpoints around the home by using the ADT+ app, Google Home app, ADT Keypad, Google Nest Hub (2nd gen) and Nest Hub Max and with their voice with a Google Assistant-enabled device¹.
“The new ADT Self Setup system provides the best of all worlds for DIY smart home customers. It unifies security, life safety, home automation and analytics through one easy-to-use application,” said Wayne Thorsen, ADT Executive Vice President and Chief Business Officer.
“Customers today are looking for smart home solutions they can customize. We’re thrilled to partner with Google to provide our customers with a new DIY smart home security solution that provides the integration and self-setup that customers want with the peace of mind of having ADT by their side.”
The ADT Self Setup system can include ADT Smart Home Hub, ADT Keypad, ADT Keychain Remote, ADT Door/Window Sensor, ADT Motion Sensor, ADT Flood & Temperature Sensor, ADT Smoke Detector, Nest Doorbell (battery), Nest Cam (outdoor or indoor, battery), Nest Cam (indoor, wired), Nest Thermostat, Nest Learning Thermostat, Nest Wifi, Nest Mini (2nd gen), Nest Hub (2nd gen) and Nest Hub Max.
ADT Self Setup system highlights:
- ADT Smart Home Hub: The brains of the security system that provides connectivity between sensors, accessories, smart home devices and the ADT cloud interface via customers’ Wi-Fi and cellular network all in one place. If triggered, the system’s 85 dB panic alarm will set off to help protect a customer’s home and notify authorities of an emergency with professional monitoring. The Smart Home Hub features a built-in keypad to offer customers the convenience of arming and disarming their security system with the keypad on top of the device. In the event of a power outage, the Smart Home Hub offers 24-hour battery backup to help secure a customer’s home if they are temporarily without power.
- Controlled with the new ADT+ app: The ADT+ app features the ability to receive intelligent alerts¹ including notifications, whenever Nest Cams, or Nest Doorbell (battery) detect an important activity. Notifications will include a description of the object or activity detected, such as a person, pet or vehicle. Additionally, customers can use the app to create routines and automation with their ADT devices, like setting their lights to turn on or off and their doors to lock on their schedule.
- Nest Doorbell (battery) & Nest Cams: Allows customers to see what’s happening at their door, in the home and yard, and communicate with family members or visitors from virtually anywhere. Talk and Listen enables users to speak with visitors through the ADT+ or Google Home apps and with cameras that can tell the difference between people, animals and vehicles providing peace of mind about who is coming and going.
- ADT SMART Monitoring: ADT is there for customers 24/7 with award-winning professional monitoring. In the event an alarm is triggered by a motion sensor or a door/window sensor, a signal will be sent to an ADT Monitoring Center and an Alarm Messenger SMS will be sent to the customer. If a customer is enrolled in Nest Aware or Nest Aware Plus⁴ with the purchase of a Nest Cam, the customer can verify the alarm with Video Verification. Video Verification can help police respond faster when seconds matter. ADT Self Setup is available with month-to-month monitoring contract options.
- ADT Alarm Verification: With text verification through ADT Alarm Messenger TM, ADT has reduced false alarms by over 50 percent⁵ ADT Self Setup customers who subscribe to ADT SMART Monitoring will now receive video from their enrolled Nest Cams during an alarm event. Customer consent is required to use this feature, and video data shared with ADT monitoring professionals are securely stored in the proprietary ADT Data Lockbox, a secure video storage for each customer protected by end-to-end encryption and multifactor authentication.
- Nest Thermostat and Nest Learning Thermostat: Adjust the temperature from virtually anywhere through the ADT+ app or Google Home app¹. Nest thermostats are designed to keep you cozy and help you save energy. And Nest thermostats can help catch HVAC system issues early. If something does not seem right, you’ll receive an alert¹.
- ADT Flood and Temperature Sensor: Help protect against flood damage, frozen pipes, or an air conditioning malfunction by placing a sensor near appliances or other sensitive areas. The system will sound an alarm (and send a text alert) before a situation becomes an emergency.
- ADT Keypad: Arm and disarm the ADT Self Setup system with the convenient, in-home controller. The battery-operated (or plug-in) keypad with illuminated keys includes a 2-button panic feature, smoke detector alerts that the keypad senses in the home and an LCD graphical display that quickly indicates the security system’s status.
- ADT Security on Nest Hub (2nd gen) and Nest Hub Max smart displays: Customers can easily control their security system on Nest Hub (2nd gen) and Nest Hub Max, including arming and disarming in three modes by touch or voice, viewing alarm and sensor status.
ADT Self Setup, designed for customer privacy
ADT helps protect customer privacy with features like encrypted video and multi-factor account verification. ADT will notify customers of unusual or potentially dangerous activity, such as suspicious account sign-ins.
Customers enrolled in ADT SMART Monitoring decide which of their Nest Cam or Nest Doorbell (battery) event recordings and other device data they share with ADT. When there is an alarm event, video and data about that event that the customer has consented to share with ADT is stored securely in our cloud platform “lockbox” (where access is restricted, authenticated and auditable) and can be used by ADT to help verify an alarm event, which can result in a higher-priority response from first responders.
Pricing and availability
The new ADT Self Setup system is now available for purchase at https://www.adt.com/shop/diy with pricing starting at $219.98 plus tax, which includes an introductory 30-day free⁶ trial of professional monitoring. At the conclusion of the trial, professional monitoring will begin at $24.99 a month. From small apartments to large projects, ADT Self Setup offers the purchase and DIY installation convenience that can grow with customers. Easily add additional Nest Cams or more ADT security devices to the ADT Self Setup system by purchasing directly from ADT.com, with easy and free shipping within the continental United States.
ADT Self Setup pre-configured system packages help customers get started and include:
- Starter: Includes an ADT Smart Home Hub, one Nest Doorbell (battery), four ADT Door & Window Sensors, and 2 ADT Motion Sensors.
- Premium System: Includes the security and smart home features of the Starter System and adds a Nest Hub (2nd Gen) for greater convenience and control.
- Build Your Own: Includes the ADT Smart Home Hub and enables customers to pick the ADT security and Google Nest products that best meet their needs.
To get started, ADT Self Setup customers can simply download the ADT+ app from the Google Play Store or iTunes and follow the on-screen instructions to activate their ADT Self Setup Hub and sensors, as well as add compatible Google Nest products and other ADT security and safety devices.
To get started follow steps:
- Notifications, remote control, video streaming and video recording require working internet, Wi-Fi, a Google Account and Google Home app linked to your ADT+ app.
- SIAC, 2022. ADT is a gold sponsor of SIAC.
- vs. unverified alarms. Requires purchase of Nest Camera and interactive monitoring services plan.
- Requires purchase of Nest Camera and professional monitoring plan.
- ADT call center data, 2022.
- If you do not cancel prior to the end of the 30-day free trial, your contract will auto-renew and you will be charged your monthly rate until you cancel.
ADT provides safe, smart and sustainable solutions for people, homes and businesses. Through innovative offerings, unrivaled safety, and a premium customer experience, all delivered by the largest network of smart home security and rooftop solar professionals in the U.S., we empower people to protect and connect to what matters most. For more information, visit www.adt.com.
See more articles on: ADT